- I am currently an assistant professor in the School of Computer Science
at the University of Oklahoma. I work on the fundamentals of machine learning
and their applications in improving the trustworthiness of learning systems.
My current research focuses on randomized learning and algorithmic ethics.
I got my Ph.D. degree from the University of Kansas.
Here is my CV.
- To Prospective Student
- What's New
- 02/2023: I'm selected as a Top Reviewer for AISTATS'23.
- 12/2022: Mohamed received the OU Engineering Research Fellowship. Congratulations.
- 10/2022: Invited talk at the Oklahoma Conference for Statistics, Biostatistics and Data Science.
- 05/2022: Paper accepted by UAI'22. Congratulations to Yiting.
- 05/2022: Paper accepted by ICML'22. Congratulations to Yiting.
- 05/2022: Mohamed received the OU Provost's Undergraduate Research and
Creative Activity Fellowship. Congratulations.
- 04/2022: Paper accepted by IJCNN'22. Congratulations to Yiting.
- Selected Publications
- [ICML'22] Yiting Cao and Chao Lan.
A model-agnostic randomized learning framework based on random hypothesis
subspace sampling. in Proc. of the 39th International Conference on
Machine Learning (ICML), 2022.
- [UAI'22] Yiting Cao and Chao Lan.
Active approximately metric-fair learning. in Proc. of the 38th
Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2022.
- [UAI'16] Chao Lan, Jianxin Wang and Jun Huan.
Towards a theorectical understanding of negative transfer in collective matrix
factorization. in Proc. of the 32nd Conference on Uncertainty in
Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2016.
- Research Group
- Yiting Cao (Ph.D. Student)
- Shayan Shafaei (Ph.D. Student)
- Mohamed Abdelnaby (B.S. Student)
- Recent Teaching
- Fall 2022. CS4033/5033: Machine Learning
- Fall 2022. CS2413: Data Structure
- Recent Service
- Reviewer: UAI'23, AISTATS'23, NeurIPS'22, ICML'22.
- Top Reviewer, AISTATS, 2023
- Top Reviewer, NeurIPS, 2022
- Distinguished Lecture, NSF NRT@KU, 2021
- Distinguished Paper Award, ACSAC, 2021
- Top PC, AAAI. 2021
- NSF CRII Award, 2019
- UAI Scholarship, 2016
- Robb Award, University of Kansas (KU), 2014, 2015
- Data Science Summer Institute Scholarship, UIUC, 2012
- To Prospective Students
- -- To Graduate Student
- I have one RA opening for a self-motivated Ph.D. student with decent math
background and similar research interests. (See our recent publications for examples.)
If you are interested, please drop me an email with your CV, transcripts and
two reference contacts.
- -- To Undergraduate Student
- If you are interested in gaining some research experience
with me, it is best to take a machine learning course first
or at least go over an online tutorial and practice